Terms and conditions
That is why we have made this summary for you, which you can read in less than 2 minutes. This summary will give you the necessary information in no time!
First of all, what is MONA.health?
- MONA is an Artificial Intelligence based solution that can screen retinal disorders such as diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema.
- MONA.health can in no way be held liable for the advice given by You.
When can you use MONA.health?
How can you use MONA.health?
- You may only use Our Services as intended and are jointly responsible with Us for the confidentiality of Your use.
- You may use Our Services only for professional purposes (i.e. related to Your activity as a Health professional).
- If you need technical support, you can always send us an email at [email protected].
Also important to know:
- MONA.health always remains the owner of the Services and of all related intellectual property rights. You remain the owner of Your data at all times.
- MONA.health can only be held liable for damages directly attributable to Us, and to the extent permitted by law, with a limit of €2,000.
DISCLAIMER: We will not be liable for your failure to follow up on a patient in any way, shape or form, particularly if it is deemed to be extremely necessary.
(hereinafter “Main Agreement“)
2. Description of the Services
2.1 MONA is an Artificial Intelligence based solution that can screen retinal disorders such as diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema. The solution uses Artificial Intelligence (AI), under the form of deep learning, to automatically recognize disease patterns in the retina scans (hereinafter “the Solution”)
2.2 The MONA Solution consists out of a device (a laptop with camera) and a web app (hereinafter the “App”). The web app component is a Software as a Medical Device. The device component is optional, and healthcare professionals may also use their own device and camera.
2.3 The use of the MONA Solution always starts with a healthcare professional (doctor or nurse) taking retinal pictures of each eye of a patient with a retinal camera. This is either done with the device component (laptop with camera) provided by MONA.health or with similar devices in use by the healthcare professional.
2.4 The healthcare professional subsequently uploads the images taken via the device to the MONA web platform whereby these images are linked to an existing patient or a new patient. The web platform’s AI algorithms will perform the prediction (referability estimate), and the healthcare professional may make further diagnosis-related annotations.
3. Use of the Services
(hereinafter defined as “User“).
3.2. With regard to the use of the Services and the Solution, each User is obliged:
- use the Services and the Solution in accordance with the provisions of the Main Agreement;
- comply with the provisions of any law, regulation, ordinance or decision of the federal, regional, local or international authorities;
- refrain from manipulating the information provided in any way or by any technique;
- not to send data, messages or documents via the Services and the Solution, or to load data or documents via the Services and the Solution:
- violating the rights (including, but not limited to, moral rights or intellectual property rights) of any party other than You or MONA.health (hereinafter “Third Party(ies)”) or of the providers of the Services and the Solution;
- the content of which is harmful, defamatory, violent, unlawful, obscene or humiliating or violates the privacy of Third Parties;
- The use or possession of which by the User is prohibited by law or by agreement;
- which contain viruses or instructions that may cause damage to the Services and the Solution and/or hinder or disrupt the services provided via the Services and the Solution.
3.3. In order to use the Services and the Solution, You must have an Internet connection. You are solely responsible for the telecommunications of computer network equipment necessary to use the Services and the Solution. You are solely responsible for making this available.
3.4. You are jointly responsible for the security and confidentiality of Your use of the Services and the Solution. You are advised to keep Your communications with Us secure and not to communicate or disclose them to Third Parties.
3.5. You are fully responsible for all activities conducted under Your name. You agree to notify Us immediately of any unauthorised use of the Services and the Solution under Your name or any other breach of security. We will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from Your failure to comply with the above requirements.
4. Licence – Restrictions
4.3. Neither you nor a Third Party shall under any circumstances:
- decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer the software, or attempt to reconstruct or discover in any way the source code, underlying ideas, algorithms, file formats or programming interfaces of the Services and the Solution;
- change, remove or make illegible any product identification, proprietary information, copyright notices, digital watermarks or other notices in or on the Services and the Solution;
- modify, adapt or change any part of the Services and the Solution, create a derivative work from any part of the Services and the Solution or integrate the Services and the Solution into or with other software, except as expressly permitted by Us in writing;
- Giving yourself unauthorised access to Our IT infrastructure or structure in order to access the Services and the Solution or use the Services and the Solution to carry out or promote illegal activities;
- use the Services and the Solution to generate unsolicited e-mail advertisements or spam;
- Use an automatic, electronic or manual high-volume process to access, search or collect information on the Services and the Solution (including but not limited to robots, spiders or scripts);
- impersonate another person or entity;
- intentionally distribute worms, Trojan horses, corrupt files or other destructive or fraudulent elements or use the Services for illegal, intrusive, infringing, defamatory or fraudulent purposes;
- remove or otherwise circumvent technical and other protective measures in the Services and the Solution.
5. Intellectual Property Rights
- copyright, neighbouring rights and moral rights;
- trademark or service mark rights;
- rights to trade secrets, know-how and expertise;
- patents, patent rights and industrial property rights supplementary protection certificates;
- rights to layout design rights;
- trade and company names, domain names, database rights, rental rights and all other industrial and intellectual property rights or similar rights (whether registered or unregistered);
- registrations, registration services, renewals, extensions, subdivisions, improvements or reissues relating to these rights and the right to apply, maintain and enforce any of the foregoing, in any case and in any jurisdiction worldwide, as long as this protection applies;
(hereinafter the “Intellectual Property Rights“) stay Our exclusive property.
6.1. If You require technical support, please contact [email protected] We will make reasonable efforts to answer Your questions in the shortest possible time and to solve Your technical problems with Our Services and Our Solution.
7. Privacy and Protection of Your Personal Data
7.1. Your privacy is very important to Us and We will comply with all applicable laws when processing any information that can lead to the identification of a natural person (hereinafter Your “Personal Data“).
7.2. You will always retain ownership of Your Personal Data. MONA.health only uses Your Personal Data to deliver the Services to You, to inform You about them and to improve Our Services.
8.1. The Services are made available to the Users against payment (hereinafter the “Fee”).
8.2. Under no circumstances shall any payment made by patients to the Users for the advice provided to the patients or any consultation be arranged through Our Services.
9.1. To the extent permitted by law, We will not, under any circumstances, be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial of service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect Your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other protected material through Your use of Our Services and Our Solution.
- Your unauthorised use of the Services and the Solution;
- Your use of the Services and the Solution in conjunction with products or services that do not belong to Us.
9.5. The Services may contain inaccuracies and typographical errors, including in respect of the Fees. We do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the content and services offered on Our Services and Our Solution. Furthermore, We expressly reserve the right to correct any erroneous information on the Services and the Solution.
9.6. We shall not be liable in any way for damages resulting from Your acts or omissions based on the content available on the Services and the Solution. We shall also not be liable for any actions, advice, errors, omissions, representations, warranties or breaches of duty of any healthcare professional and/or Third Party Independent Service Providers.
10. Warranties and disclaimers
I. By Us
We do not guarantee that:
- All errors can be corrected or access to or operation of the products will always be uninterrupted, secure and free from errors;
- The information, including but not limited to the results, available on the Services and the Solution is true, complete and accurate.
10.2. You expressly acknowledge and agree that We shall not be liable for any health-related decisions or advice taken by You as a healthcare professional and/or Third Parties based on the results arising from the Services and the Solution, whether or not such data is accurate.
10.3. You expressly acknowledge and agree that Your use of the Services and the Solution and the results is at Your sole risk. You acknowledge and agree that there are risks associated with transmitting and storing information over the Internet and that We will not be liable for any loss of data, including, but not limited to, results and any related user content.
10.4. As provided herein, We will indemnify and defend You against substantiated and valid claims by Third Parties to the extent the claim is based on a violation of the Third Party’s intellectual property rights by the Services and the Solution and/or the Documentation and excluding claims resulting from:
- Your unauthorised use of the Services and the Solution;
- Changes to the Services and the Solution by You or by a Third Party appointed by You;
- Your failure to use the latest version of the Services and the Solution and/or documentation made available to You or Your failure to incorporate or install corrections in the Services and the Solution and/or documentation when We indicated that the update or correction was necessary to prevent a potential breach;
- Your use of the Services and the Solution in conjunction with products or Services not specifically provided by Us, without Our express consent.
10.5. Such an indemnification obligation shall be subject to the following conditions:
- We shall be immediately informed in writing of any such claim or demand;
- We will determine the defence and settlement of such a claim at our own discretion;
- At Our request, You will cooperate fully with Us in the defence and settlement of such claim at Our expense;
- You shall not make any representations as to Our liability with respect to any such claim, nor shall You agree to any settlement with respect to any such claim, without Our prior written consent.
If these conditions are met, We will indemnify You for all damages and costs incurred by You as a result of such claim, as awarded by a court of competent jurisdiction in final instance or as agreed in the settlement with Our plaintiffs.
10.6. If, in Our reasonable opinion, the Services and Solution are likely to be the subject of an infringement claim by a Third Party, We reserve the right, in Our discretion and at Our own expense:
- to modify the Services and the Solution (or the (allegedly) infringing part thereof) so that the infringement no longer exists, but the equivalent functionality is retained;
II. By the User
10.7. You will, insofar as not covered by the Main Agreement, indemnify and hold Us harmless from any claim, demand, loss, liability or damage of any kind, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, whether in tort or contract, that they or any of them may face as a result of a Third Party claim relating to:
- Content that violates the Intellectual Property Rights of third parties;
- Fraud, deliberate deception or gross negligence on Your part.
10.8. We are under no obligation to You to back up any User Content and/or advice given. You agree that use of the Services contrary to or in violation of the User’s terms and warranties in this section constitutes unauthorised and inappropriate use of the Services and the Solution.
11.1. We reserve the right at any time, with or without cause and without notice or liability to You:
- modify the Services. This includes the removal or discontinuation, temporarily or permanently, of any service or other feature of the Services without any liability to the User or Third Parties; and/or
- Reject or terminate your use of and/or access to the Services, in whole or in part, temporarily or permanently.
12. Duration and termination
12.2. We may immediately terminate Your use of the Services and the Solution at any time if You provide false, incomplete or inaccurate information when subscribing to Our Services and Our Solution or at any other time during the provision of the Services and the Solution.
I. Force majeure
13.1. We shall not be liable for any failure or delay in performance of Our obligations in respect of the Services if such failure or delay is due to causes beyond Our control, including but not limited to acts of God, war, strikes, lockouts, riots, epidemics, fire, communication failures, power failures, earthquakes, other disasters, unauthorised access to Our information technology systems by Third Parties or for any other reason if Our failure to perform the obligations is beyond Our reasonable control.
II. Full agreement
13.6. All Our notifications intended to be received by You are deemed delivered and effective when sent to the e-mail address You provided when You subscribed to Our Services. If You change this e-mail address, You must also change Your e-mail address on the personal settings page.
VII. Expiry of the Agreement
13.7. Articles 5, 6, 9, 10, 12 and 13.8 shall remain in force even after the termination or expiry of the agreement.
VIII. Applicable law and jurisdiction
13.8. The Agreement shall be exclusively governed by and construed in accordance with Belgian law and shall not be construed in accordance with any conflicting laws or regulations. The courts and tribunals of Antwerp have exclusive jurisdiction if a dispute arises in relation to the Services.
Diabetic retinopathy is the number one cause of blindness amongst working age adults.
People with diabetes need to have an annual examination in order to identify DR at an early stage. Patients diagnosed with DR need regular screening to track the progress of the disease.
MONA lets you have a regular eye exam without waitlists or physical discomfort.
In minutes your doctor will tell you if you need further evaluation or if you can wait for your next annual exam.
Ophthalmologists can use MONA to improve patient workflow. A technician can capture retinal images and in 3 minutes you will know if the patient needs further care. Less time spent on diagnosis frees up time for more complex treatments and procedures. Patients will be more satisfied and likely to share positive experiences across their personal networks.
Diabetologists and endocrinologists can use MONA to add eye care to their patient evaluations. An automated 3-minute process means patients leave reassured — or with a referral to an ophthalmologist.
With an ageing global population, eye disease is on the rise and demand for eye health services is increasing.
A 2020 study published in The Lancet found that diabetic retinopathy was a leading cause of blindness in those aged 50 years and older.
The good news is that DR can be prevented and treated.
But there are barriers that need to be overcome:
Only specialists can diagnose
- Current screening methods require analysis by a specialist to make a diagnosis and confirm which stage of DR has been reached.
Waiting lists are long
- With only a limited number of specialists in any location, there can be a long wait for an appointment.
Screening can be unpleasant
- Current techniques for retinal screening are time-consuming and physically uncomfortable.